[Sca-cooks] honey

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:18:28 PDT 2016

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I am trying them for almond crunch or Perry translates

445. White Mu'assal

"Take a ratl of clean, white honey, and three û qiyas of starch, the white of two eggs, sufficient fresh oil and minced almonds. Cook over a gentle, weak fire and keep stirring, without being careless about stirring, until it whitens and boils and takes the consistency of mu'assal. Cut it with camphor dissolved in water and it will turn out admirable."

I have had the ingredients in a double boiler with a flat thing in the bottom so the upper pot does not touch the lower pot for an hour. I have tested the candy thermometer and it does show boiling water but hates to get up to 200 much less pass it.

Also on the thermometer it reads 280 soft crack and about 300 hard crack -is that crispy? - I give up.

Now I have put all in the thermomix at 90º centigrade, constant slow stirring for 20 minutes. Supposing it works, then what do I do with it?

By the way, I do not use camphor. I was able to buy it in Madrid and almost poisoned my guests as that is what moth balls are made of!