[Sca-cooks] period Jewish food

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 08:26:15 PDT 2016

Tangentially, does anyone know of mead (hydromel) being used in Jewish
culture?

A 1928 account of the Rue des Rosiers in Paris shows the writer  being
surprised to see people in a restaurant there drinking it (which he  clearly had
never seen in Paris before).

This is doubly curious to me since a man's account of the food in a late
eighteenth century yeshiva (probably in Metz) specifically says they had
Burgundy on the Sabbath and holidays (but terrible, if kosher, wine the rest of
 the week).

Note that by 1928 the population on the Rue des Rosiers would have  been
more Eastern European, whereas earlier Jewish immigration was more Germanic
(including Jews from Alsace, technically French - at least sometimes - but
very  Germanic in culture). So this might be an Eastern European preference.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french
-food-history-seventeenth-century.html

In a message dated 8/3/2016 8:20:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,