[Sca-cooks] Scots Feast was Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 124, Issue 6

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Aug 25 13:00:58 PDT 2016

Welcome aboard.

First, let me recommend you clip your posts.  Attaching whole digests with
no relevance bloats posts, especially future digests and can make one the
target of great invective.

I assume this is your first feast, so 70 is a good number to work with.
16th Century Scots will largely be Tudor and Elizabethan with French
influence and traditional Scottish dishes.  If you want to do a period
feast, I suggest you forget about "traditional" English fare and use
available late Elizabethan and Jacobean sources.  I can probably help you
there, having done an Elizabethan feast for the Outlands A&S competition in
April this year.

Unfortunately, Stefan's Florilegium, a broad spectrum resource, appears to
be down.  Two other accessible resources are Thomas Gloning's website,
http://www.staff.uni-giessen.de/gloning/kobu.htm , and Martha Carlin's
website, https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/carlin/www/ .

That said, what sources are you using?  And do you have an idea about your
menu?

Bear

.
Hi all! I am new to the list. Just found you guys. My name is Charis
Accipiter and I hail from the East. I am getting started on research for a
scottish coronation feast for the incomming King and Queen of Acre (a
neighbor group that plays with the SCA allot as well). Feast is in Jan so
right now is research and planning mode. I am excited about this one as I
pretty much have free reign and a huge budget and it is only for 70 people.

Working from some materials sighting celebration feast menus in England in
the 16th cent. Fitting in specifically scottish dishes as well as
traditional english fair

Any good references would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Charis

.