[Sca-cooks] Mughal Feast

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Sat Aug 27 09:06:32 PDT 2016

The Nimatnama is roughly 100 years earlier than the Ain I Akbari. The Delhi
court in which the Nimatnama was written produced a different fusion cuisine
than the later Mughals- the Nimatnama was written after a much lengthier
time of cultural mixing, plus both the Muslims came from a different place
with a different "home" cuisine, and the regions of India are different with
their own cuisines too. Mughal cuisine survived mostly in Rajasthan around
Delhi,  while the dishes from the Nimatnama can be found in their evolved
forms in Gujarat and Maharashtra- and Afghanistan, weirdly enough.

I love the Nimatnama manuscript- I've done one feast out of it and I'm
hopefully doing another this winter. There are hundreds of dishes and even
more importantly, detailed descriptions of *how the cuisine works*. I'm
testing an outdoor kitchen idea this weekend based directly on the paintings
of the Nimatnama.

If you really need more dishes to finish your feast than can be found in the
Ain-I-Akbari, I personally would look to mid-to-late 16th century Persian
cuisine to round out a Mughal feast.

Madhavi