[Sca-cooks] Anything going on ?

Laura Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Aug 28 07:35:21 PDT 2016

Well, I'm not doing much at the moment. I'm having some fairly
significant health issues, and spending most of my time dealing with that.

I did go to Egils though, and fed 9 in camp, and... I don't know how
many Saturday night for dinner. Still working on Frankish stuff, and it
went well, except- a major fair with the roast. I don't know what
happened- everything was the same- roast, pan, coals- but when I went to
get it out, it mooed at me. I had a small breakdown in the bushes behind
the kitchen, then came back to my horrified helpers, and said 'Ok, we go
on. This is what we're going to do...' and we went on with dinner, with
a revised menu. Everyone was fed and I don't think the guests knew any
different.

I also made cheese in camp, which was a first. I got some basic
instructions and recipes from Maeve, hung it up to drip before I left
for market* and then took it down while I was doing  prep (it was part
of the dessert). It worked wonderfully, and I'm likely to do it again.

*I had an idea that I would go into town to the farmer's market and get
my fresh produce there. Didn't work- the produce was lovely, but about
three times the standard supermarket price. I couldn't in good
conscience use our camp's food money that way, so I ended up going on to
the Safeway from there. The only thing I did get was fennel- fennel is
hard to find, and I couldn't be sure it was available at Safeway. The
fennel was gorgeous- firm, fat bulb, brilliant white. and it was very tasty!

An Tir September Crown is next weekend, and I'm going, but camping with
#1 daughter, and she's feeding me, so all I have to bring is my tent and
personal stuff. I think it will be nice, being able to relax, and leave
camp without worrying about being on a strict timetable for meal prep.

Liutgard

---