[Sca-cooks] Anything going on ?

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Wed Aug 31 13:36:44 PDT 2016

I've been working on identifying the origins of humoral theory, when it
first gets applied to food, and when it starts to show up in cookbooks,
or at least in connection with recipes.

I've been reading a number of early sources not explicitly concerned
with either food and cooking or the humors, moistly because I'm trying
to get a handle where the elemental theory that forms the basis of
humoral theory came from. I've read the Enuma Elish (circa 15th century
BCE) and am in the process of reading Empedocles (early 5th century BCE)
I'll very likely be reading the entirety of the works attributed to
Hippocrates, after which I'll plow through Galen, or at least as much of
him as I can find in English.

I'll report from time to time on what I've found.

-- Galefridus