[Sca-cooks] Anything going on ?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Aug 31 13:59:43 PDT 2016

In the West, I think that's easy: Anthimus (who includes actual recipes in
what is essentially a dietetic work). Cato doesn't touch on the idea in his
 collection of recipes and Galen's passing instructions on preparing food
are too  cursory to be recipes. (Pseudo-) Apicius doesn't touch on the idea
at all.

I'd surprised if you get any further back than works attributed to
Hippocrates for the general theory, though I believe he's thought to have had
older models. Going forward, Aldebrandino and Arnaldus may have been the first
to provide some detailed instructions for making food as part of dietetic
works.  It's more implied than specific in the first cookbooks, though Scully
does a  good job of teasing out the humoral underpinnings of the original
Viandier (as  opposed to the highly corrupt first published version).

jC

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 8/31/2016 1:36:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,