[Sca-cooks] The upper crust

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Dec 12 13:44:27 PST 2016

Not entirely impossible, though "burnt bottom" shouldn't happen if your
baker knows what he is doing.  There is always the possibility of char
fragments and similar attaching to the bottom of a loaf of bread that is
cooked directly on the bricks in a baker's oven, even when that oven has
been swept carefully, so that does remain as a possibility.

The semi-random selection of mediaeval and renaissance cookbooks that I
happen to be familiar with don't make any reference to partitioning the
bread in any way.  So either everyone already knew to do it, and so it
didn't need to be mentioned, or it wasn't normally done.

Thorvald