[Sca-cooks] The upper crust

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 14:16:52 PST 2016

Being a bread historian (though more on the French side), I find the whole
idea loopy. For one thing, when there was a distinction in breads, the
upper  classes got whole loaves - about a pound in size - and for a long time
the crust  was grated off anyway. THOSE were the aristocratic distinctions,
not divisions  of a particular loaf.

Looking around Google Books, I see some texts which  do indeed distinguish
between an upper and a lower crust, but with no  distinction of quality and
certainly not in terms of dividing them by class. The  term "upper crust"
for class at any rate only seems to appear towards the end of  the nineteenth
century.

My own assumption has always been that quite simply the "gratin" (as the
French called them) were what formed on the top of society, just as cheese
and  other materials will harden on top of a liquid with proper cooking.
Nothing to  do even with bread. (There used to be a gourmet's club in Paris
called "the  gratin dauphinois", punning on the dish to express their superior
status in that  region.) This would jibe with its making its way into English
at the end of the  nineteenth century, since the very idea of "gratin"
doesn't appear until the  eighteenth century and that of cheese in the nineteenth.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 12/12/2016 1:44:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,