[Sca-cooks] Site fee for cooks

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 06:44:23 PST 2016

I think in the past it was common to comp the head cooks and even the kitchen staff because those people were very lucky to even take part in the actual event's activities. It was common to arrive and be in the kitchen from literally dawn until midnight. (Often that kitchen was not even located at the day site. I've been at numerous events where the cooks never got into costume. They were lucky to get their aprons on before being assigned tasks.) as head cook, One cooked and then one stayed through the cleaning and packing up. First in, last out.

One other important reason the cooks were charged site fees were the feast associated expenses which were never expensed like supplying cleaning products, towels, paper goods, foods and dishes, subtleties, bringing spices from home, supplementing the head table with extras like fresh flowers, extra foods, requested special foods for royal offspring, special drinks, etc. How about personally supplying and paying for all the desserts for a dessert table to feed 150 or the sit down Royal luncheon for 30 or an evening sweets banquet for 30 plus?

Everyone without exception pays is well and good, but the cook in charge should be told so up front when being recruited. Otherwise one could pay the site fee and turn in every single receipt for compensation.

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad