[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Feb 1 11:05:47 PST 2016

In your blog  http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/09/french-bread-history-making.html

"This is not surprising; no medieval bread recipes survive at all for most of Europe* nor do many details on how it was made. Still scattered data does exist, at least for the French side, allowing the committed historical baker to narrow the parameters of what they make as “medieval bread”."

But below you state "But by the seventeenth century there were already published  recipes for bread…"

So there are no medieval bread recipes but by 1600 we have published bread recipes???? How many? Where?

I am sure those of us interested in the subject would like to know where those recipes appear,  books,
authors, details, etc.

Johnnae