[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 08:52:30 PST 2016

Yes, the actual test is later in the text. Anyone who tries to work their
way through it will probably be grateful that I paraphrased it rather than
translating it word for word.

I don't know where this idea comes from  that bakers (in France at least)
did not discuss their mysteries with the  public. I've never seen any
reference to this idea in reading a broad range of  period sources. If there are no
recipes for bread early on, it is simply because  mainly professional
bakers made it and they learned their trades (as most did)  by apprenticeship.
But by the seventeenth century there were already published  recipes for bread
and in the eighteenth century (when the guilds/corporations  were at the
height of their strength) whole works appeared on how to make bread.

Bread trials, which were done all over France, were public and often
documented. The problem is that most have not been transcribed from the local
records. Françoise Desportes seems to be the only one who has actually taken
the  trouble to travel about and consult them; unfortunately her work on
medieval  bread is not readily available in the States.

It may well be that more detailed accounts exist for Paris in this
collection:

Recueil d'ordonnances et de cris concernant le blé et le pain à  Paris ;
essais de farines, taxes du pain. 1396-1478

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b90604930.r=essais%20de%20pain

But honestly I am just not that expert at deciphering old municipal
scripts.

As for the measure, the applicable statutes were municipal, not national.
Anyone who wants an overview of how many differed can read my blog post on
the  subject:

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY: Late medieval bread outside Paris
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/07/french-bread-history-late-medieval.html

jC

Jim Chevallier

Contributor, Savoring Gotham
A Food Lover's  Companion to New York City
Editor-in-chief: Andrew F. Smith and Foreword by  Garrett  Oliver
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/savoring-gotham-9780199397020?cc=us&
lang=en

In  a message dated 2/1/2016 6:07:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,