[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Feb 2 22:18:37 PST 2016

On 2/2/16 7:12 AM, Terry Decker wrote:
> The finished bread weight is 66 lbs. .75 oz. for both white and brown
> bread. The total dough weight for both is 84 lbs. 7.75 oz.  Finished
> weight is 78 percent of dough weight.  You lose roughly 25 percent of
> the weight of the dough in baking, so these numbers are within the
> rules of thumb.
>
> There are 58 lbs. of flour.  To which is added 10 lbs. of leaven, 3
> lbs. 2 oz. additional flour,
Why do you assume the "additional flour" isn't coming from the 58 lbs?
The point of the trial seems to be to start with wheat and end with
bread made from that wheat.
> 6 oz. salt, and 9 lbs. of fine siftings to produce bread of the second
> quality.  Total weight, 80 lbs. 8 oz..  13 lbs. 2 oz. of the
> ingredients are recovered from the dough, so the total ingredients in
> the dough other than water are 67 lb. 6 oz..
How do you get 13 lbs 2 oz of the ingredients recovered? If they were
pulling out starter for the next batch of bread they should be pulling
out 10 pounds, that being the amount of leaven they put in. And it
should be ten pounds of dough, not of flour, so some of the weight would
be water.

I've made a first try at my interpretation, which is a little different.
The white bread went in at 15 ounce but came out at 13 oz, which may
mean I didn't bake it long enough (internal temperature 195°). I messed
up on my calculation on the dark bread, went in too heavy and went out
too heavy. I plan to repeat the experiment tomorrow.

Here is the calculation for the white bread, assuming the leavening and
additional flour is divided in proportion to the ratio of weight of
white flour to weight of sifted dark flour:

On your reading, you have 58 lbs of white flour plus about 8 pounds of
leaven (dividing it between white and dark) plus 2 1/2 lbs of additional
flour, totals 68 1/2 lb, almost all flour minus a little water in the
leaven. Suppose we take all of the leaven out of that, leaving us with
58 1/2 lbs for the white bread /before/ we add any water. But the white
bread comes out of the oven at 52 lbs 13 3/4 oz. So we are back with my
puzzle--the finished bread weighs much less than the ingredients, even
without counting the water.

For the dark bread: 9 lbs of sifted flour +1 2/3 lbs leaven +8 oz
additional flour = 11 1/6 lb. It comes out of the oven weighing 13 lbs 3
3/4 oz. so not impossible.

But we have another problem. The weight of the dark loaves going in was
13 lbs 3 3/4 oz. The weight of the dark loaves coming out was 13 lbs 3
3/4 oz. As you note. That's impossible--either it's a scribal error or
we are missing something.

And on your calculation, as I read it, 67 lbs 6 oz of dry ingredients
for both dark and light produce 66 lbs 1 1/2 oz of bread, which isn't
possible.

Am I misreading your calculations or didn't you try comparing the weight
of the ingredients other than water going in with the weight of the
bread coming out?

If we assume that the "additional flour" comes from the initial 58 lbs,
you then have 64 lbs 4 oz of dry ingredients (ignoring that there is a
little water in the leavening) producing 66 lbs 1 1/2 oz of bread, which
is a little better but not much. And the numbers still don't work for
the white bread.

Looking at your figures, you have 58 lbs of flour and 17 lbs of water
(ignoring the leaven, which should be about the same ratio). 17/75=.227
so it's 22.7% water. But the white bread loses 27% of its weight in
baking, comparing the weight of dough going in to the weight of bread
coming out. So the bread coming out weighs less than the flour going in.
How is that possible?

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com