[Sca-cooks] noncooking topic

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Feb 12 16:02:59 PST 2016

Ah.

Actually, it's god Ramses II wants a couple temples to the glory of him and
his consort and says "Build me some temples."  Since, there is no money, the
architect says, "Yes, my Pharaoh, but I need the wherewithal."  "Other than
your plans (that I may revel in my Greatness while you get this done), don't
bother me, bother whoever is the Lord of MY Granaries."  Whereupon, the
Royal Architect goes to the Royal Exchequer and they haggle out how may khar
of grain, hekat of onions, hinu of beer and warm bodies doing their tax
service are going to be needed for the project.  Then they pad the bill,
skim the grain and split the take.  The architect gets the bribes to work or
not work on the project and the treasurer gets the bribes to actually supply
the project.  The artisans inflate their expenses and the tax labor gets
overworked to cover the cost overruns.  And whether they get away with it
depends on whether the Royal Accountants can be greased or if the blame can
be appropriately delegated away from the principals.

The Pharaoh gets what he wants (a couple temples with a façade higher and
wider than the faces on Mt. Rushmore), the contractors and government
appointees (but not the government employees) get rich and the taxpayers get
screwed.  Some where around 700 years later, the process gets easier when
they start producing coinage.  The descendants of the original taxpayers get
a little of their own back when the temples become tourist traps, the
government takes their cut by running the tourist traps and TV execs pay for
the footage to create conspiracy theory television shows for the ignorant to
get their cut of the advertising budget which pays for the advertising
industry and can't be quantified as to their actual effectiveness, other
than people buy stuff.  Think of it as the eternal cycle of greed and graft.

Bear