[Sca-cooks] packing for 50th Year

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:20:00 PST 2016

Gwyn said:
<<< I would heartily recommend AGAINST using General Delivery in this, or any
circumstances where you're shipping something of value. >>>

Thank you for the warning.  It’s been five or six years since I could go to Pennsic, but one thing I was able to do for several years, was Fed Ex. myself a footlocker of stuff to Pennsic, though the merchant-o-crat’s office. The same way that merchants could do, except it cost me an extra $10.

<<< First of all, if you don't pick it up in three days, back it goes to the
sender--at the slowest possible speed.  This could be a problem if they
have your needful camping gear! >>>

That was always a major concern when I shipped my stuff to Pennsic. I always tried to pack logically, so that if I lost the shipped package or the airline lost my baggage, I didn’t have any essential things (like insulin or all my clothes) in one box. There also the concern about whether my shipped box would be there when I got to Pennsic, and if not, when it would arrive.

Since the Pennsic post office had restricted hours and then only M-F, I also had to be careful about packing that shipped box and getting it there between 10-2 or whatever the hours were. And trying to get all pieces of luggage, including the shipped home box, under the various weight limits was also challenging, especially without a scale. I can remember sitting at the ticket counter, moving items from one piece of luggage to another, to get one piece below the maximum.

And all this was before the increased airline security and baggage restrictions, but after 9-11.

If there was something like that for 50th Year, that would be great. Otherwise, since I will have to rent a car, I will see if I can ship it for pick-up somewhere else.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris