[Sca-cooks] Pretzels

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 23 22:19:55 PST 2016

Bagels, pretzels, laugenbrot and a number of other yeast breads are boiled
prior to baking to promote browning via maillard reaction.  Adding alkalines
to the water (baking soda, lye, etc.) accelerates the reaction which deepens
the surface carmelization of the bread.

The problem I have with defining Messibugo's brazzatelle as bagels is the
recipe, as written, isn't a yeast dough.  It is also closer to Rumpolt's
precedella than it is to modern bagels or pretzels.  It would be nice to
have a broader selection of recipes, but we don't.

Bear

By Messibugio's pretzels, do you mean Brazzatelle of Milk and Sugar or
something else? My daughter is pretty confident, on linguistic grounds,
that the Brazzatelle are more nearly bagels—which are also boiled and
then baked.