[Sca-cooks] 1926: an Ecuadorian medieval meal

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 12:30:47 PST 2016

>  JIMCHEVAL wrote:
>

> Why ever did the Minister of Ecuador want to organize a medieval meal in
> Paris in 1926?
>
> Whatever the reason, . . . guests wiping their hands on the tablecloth.

How disgusting. If there was a problem between pouring water over the eaters hands, the Spanish used bread to wipe their hands, certainly not the tablecloth!

Ziyab introduced the tablecloth to Cordoba in the 9th century. At that time it was fitted leather, hardy a place to wipe ones hands.

Traditionally, through the times of Isabel I,  a pitcher filled with water was poured over the hands of each eater. A basin was underneath to catch the water and a towel was provided for the eater to dry his hands.This was preformed before, during and after the meal.
See my blog: Medieval Spanish Chef: AGUAMANIL <http://www.medievalspanishchef.com/2010/11/aguamaniles.html>
www.medievalspanishchef.com/2010/11/aguamaniles.html
Nov 2, 2010