[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 28 14:59:05 PST 2016

Very interesting.

Let's eliminate any weight discrepancies.  The French livre (or pound) was
set in 1350 and was retained until replaced by the metric system.  It
consists of 16 oz. or 2 marcs (8 oz.).  It is about .08 lbs. more than the
standard American pound and comes in at 489.5 grams.  There is no issue of
conversion in the ratios describe and they can translate directly into the
American standard measures.

The directions specify the following ingredients:

58 pounds               flour
10 pounds               leavening

  3.125 pounds        water
    .375 pounds        salt
13.125 pounds        "other"

  9 pounds               bran

This recipe makes no sense unless "other" is liquor (water, milk, etc.).
That makes the ratio about 3.5:1 flour to water by weight.  Stiff, but
workable.

Then there is the question of whether the levain is hard or soft.  I'm going
to assume a soft leaven of 1:2 flour to water by weight.  A hard leaven
needs to be broken apart in a warm liquid before use.  In fact, for a recipe
like this, I would have used the 3.125 pounds of water to break apart the
soft leaven to get a better spread of yeast through the dough.

All of the ingredients weighed together excepting the bran are 84.625 lbs..

The dough for the white loaves weighs 71.25 lbs..  The dough for the coarse
loaves weighs 13.23 lbs. minus 9 lbs. of bran giving 4.23 lbs. of dough.
75.48 lbs. total.  Subtracting that from 84.625 lbs. yields 9.145 lbs. or
about what is expected when recovering the levain from the current batch of
dough.  These measures suggest that coarse bread is made 2:1 bran to dough
by weight.

Bread loses roughly 25 percent of it's weight in baking with some variation
for moisture retention in various flours.  The total weight of the finished
bread (just over 66 lbs.) is approximately 78 percent of the total dough
weight plus the 9 lbs. of bran.

The weights I would experiment with for a white loaf are:

480 g.                     flour
  85 g.                     starter
  26 g.                     water
110 g.                     "other" water
    3 g.                     salt

And a baking time of 40-45 min. in a 400 degree F oven.

This should produce a loaf of roughly 1 lb. 2 oz., a little larger than the
ones described, but still in the ball park.

I am of the opinion that the smaller amount of liquid is used to hydrate the
starter no matter what the description says.  I have encountered a
description of a modern French baker transporting his levain, about the size
of a soccer ball, half way around the world.  The levain was used to leaven
commercial batches of bread and recovered from the dough created, so I have
no reason to doubt Jim's description of the starter.

I wouldn't worry about the differences between soft and hard flours moisture
content, but the freshness of the flour might cause a problem.  Resting the
flour for three days before bolting lets some of the excess moisture escape.
You should also consider that this is a whole wheat flour and has a higher
fat content than white flours.

I don't know what you used for sieving, but medieval flour for white bread
usually went through a coarse sieve, a fine sieve and a cloth sieve.  That
last one makes for some very finely ground flour, but it is labor intensive.

It should be noted that no times are given for the time of the first rise,
so we don't know how long it sat after the dough was mixed before shaping
although the actual test began on the 25th and ingredients were added the
next day.  The second rise was two hours.  Other than those, we have no idea
of the timing or on what day the test ended.

A transcription of the original text would be of interest.

Bear