[Sca-cooks] the Smithsonian's take on the history of the hamburger

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:44:00 PDT 2016

<<< "2.1.7 Forcemeat faggots: you pound chopped meat with fresh white breadcrumbs soaked in wine, with pepper and liquamen; if you wish, you pound crushed myrtle berries with them. (5) You  shape the faggots with pine nuts and pepper placed inside. Wrap them in caul fat and roast (6) them with caroenum.  Pp. 149.  >>>

Ah. Thank you. When I read the article I was wondering about the pistachios. I was thinking that pine nuts were more likely, but not knowing for sure, didn’t bring that up.

Where were pistachios used? Did they make it to Classical Rome? I think of them as being more Middle Eastern.

Despite being published? by The Smithsonian, this really wasn’t meant as a serious scholarly article. It was casually researched with what the authors could readily and cheaply get. Vehling is still the version that most people are aware of, or see first. While we have discussed and compared the pros and cons of the various editions of Apicius, they probably aren’t known to many outside of the scholarly food researchers.

cb-rv-Apicius-msg (66K) 12/ 1/06 Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com