[Sca-cooks] 2016 Silly Season Starts

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 10:26:08 PDT 2016

The real shocker for me was finding Jewish charcuterie - a term often
translated as "pork butchery". But in fact Jewish smoked and preserved meats
have long been well-regarded and the term itself derives from "cooked meats"
(chars cuits) so there is nothing inherently non-kosher about it.

I must  say as a goy with some New Yorker's familiarity with Jewish food,
it tickles me  to see nineteenth century references to things like kugel and
"bouillon  with balls" (then made with crusts of bread, not matzohs). A
number of the more  Germanic dishes have been around for a very long time.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 7/31/2016 10:18:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,