[Sca-cooks] Water

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 06:43:43 PDT 2016

I suspect the topic of drinking water is a matter of time and place and what applies to one era and region might not apply to another. And quite frankly our thoughts today are colored by knowledge of the major outbreaks of water borne diseases which came later. Who doesn't think about phrases like the stinking Thames and John Snow's removal of the pump handle during the cholera outbreak in 1854? Try a search on the phrase 'did people drink water in the Middle Ages?' And see what pops up.
There's this article of course titled "Did people drink water in the Middle Ages?"
http://www.medievalists.net/2014/07/09/people-drink-water-middle-ages/

At least for England, I'd also suggest Dorothy Hartley's Water in England and sections in works by C. Anne Wilson and Peter Brears.

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad