[Sca-cooks] fat or skinny period pigs

Linda Barta Lindaasb at centurylink.net
Thu Mar 3 20:58:08 PST 2016

Pigs of old were raised on pasture and forage, not confined and grain fed as today's commercial operations. The efficiency of foraging in heritage breeds produced slightly different flavors from the variety of foods eaten. That is one reason pastured pork is becoming popular in certain culinary areas.

There is an English heritage breed called Large Black. I'm not sure how far back it goes.

Dagmar

Sent from my iPhone
Ours is not to rewrite history; but to learn from it to improve the future.