[Sca-cooks] Another Indian Cookbook

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:03:24 PDT 2016

My copy of Ksemakutuhalam arrived. It is quite a large volume: 446 pages
plus appendix, intro, bibliography, etc. It has the bibliography right up
front, which saved me from having to dig for it. I already like this book!

It is a bit overwhelming in scope, ranging from medical theory, to food
preparation, to proper after dinner behavior. There seem to be plenty of
usable recipes, though some are a bit vague. I also noticed several cross
references between them.

Rather than going into detail, let me summarize by saying this is an
encyclopedic work of cookery and related material. The table of contents is
32 pages in length. I have already started marking dishes to try. I
recommend this as a good purchase if you are at all interested in 16th
century India cuisine.

I will see if I can type up the bibliography and perhaps add some detail to
this admittedly hasty review.