[Sca-cooks] Millet

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon May 2 17:17:14 PDT 2016

I wouldn't worry about it too much, there are over 3,500 species in the
Panicoideae, including maize, sorghum and sugar cane.  The most common
millets in medieval Europe were panic  (Panicum miliaceum) and foxtail
(Setaria italica AKA Panicum italica).  These are the two most common
commercial millets in Europe and the Americas.

Bear

> Alec Story wrote:
>
> Be aware that (at least in English) there are several different plants
> referred to as millet.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet#Millet_varieties has a good list.
>
> *Setaria* and *Panicum* millets are pretty similar visually too, although
> the *Setaria* I got was a little smaller.  I haven't encountered the other
> kinds.

My organic shopping excursion this AM was most fruitful! I found real honey,
xanthin gum and tapioca flour which they tell me is tapioca starch. I also
bought "peeled millet.“ The bag says no more than that.

Alec, you are way over my head with the various types of millet.

I assume I will put my bag of millet  in a food processor and make flour.
The recipe that I will be developing - directly translated is:
Make dough with millet flour, salt and a little water, kneading it into a
round shape. Make it think if it is to be baked and thin if fried. Cover the
outer layer with sesame seeds, anise and green anise. Cook immediately
before the dough deteriorates.