[Sca-cooks] Millet

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:25:06 PDT 2016

Susan Lord wrote:

 > "Make dough with millet flour, salt and a little water, kneading it
 >into a round shape. Make it thick if it is to be baked and thin if
 >fried. Cover the outer layer with sesame seeds, anise and green anise.
 >Cook immediately before the dough deteriorates.?
(snipping)
 >... in the end I let the dough rise for 2 hours. After baking, it
 >cooled and cracked. Perhaps I should have watched them more carefully
 >and as soon as it stopped rising due to whatever items I used which
 >included- tapioca flour, yeast, baking powder and xanthan gum.  I am
 >not a cook, but an historian trying to interpret ancient recipes into
 >modern terms.

Where did the mention of yeast or baking powder come from? Baking powder
wouldn't have existed in the time period of the original recipe, but I
don't see any mention of yeast in the translation, either. Why would you
have used either of them, especially in a medieval recipe?

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alyskatharine at gmail.com