[Sca-cooks] bacon, lardo etc

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 22:41:42 PST 2016

Glenn Gorsuch said:
<<< Should have said.  Martino was later period Italian, and by Romans he meant
the way people who lived in Rome did it. >>>

I have problems when people speak of “Rome” and I have to work sometimes to be sure whether they are speaking of Classical Rome or medieval Rome. For Rome still existed in medieval times and did have a big impact, especially as the Church was concerned.

<<< Also, for him, bacon could mean
guanciale, lardo, cured pork belly, or any of a number of bacon+fat cured
preparations.  For us, sliced cured smoked pork belly (I.e. American bacon)
is most accessible)>>>

So what are the definitions of these three+ items? We’ve already discussed that medieval ”bacon” is most likely not what Americans call bacon and may be different from what the Canadians consider bacon.

What little I do have:
bacon-msg (6K) 2/16/08 Medieval bacon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/bacon-msg.html

Stefan