[Sca-cooks] bacon, lardo etc

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 08:13:23 PST 2016

> Stefan wrote:
>
> Bear replied to me with:
> <<< Guanicale is cured hog jowl. Lardo is cured fatback. Cured pork belly is just what it says. These are prepared with salt and blends of various spices and generally air cured. Salt pork has a higher salt concentration (think salt preserved) and is without spices or curing. >>>
>
> Wonderful. Thank you. The first two I hadn?t even heard of. So how do these differ and why would I choose a particular one for a particular dish?
>
> Stefan
> ————

I thank you too but I am still so confused because the English from England have terms that I have had a hard time grasping like streaky bacon. To simplify things when translating recipes I generally call for bacon but if it is a Muslim recipe I call for lamb fat.

I don’t think I should I use the term pork belly??? When we slaughter the pigs there is fat all over the place. - Yeah, so when streaked with fat I call it bacon. . .

On Feb 24, 17 I will be publishing a blog title "pella," which translates as lumps of fat. Its hard for me to explain it. I see when we open the pig but how can I explainI it?

I don’t think there is a difference between pig fat in the Middle Ages and pig fat now??? Doesn’t the pig have the same proportions of fat throughout its body is feed on acorns from Huelvas cork oak orchards?