[Sca-cooks] bacon, lardo etc

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 13 09:32:20 PST 2016

Bacon and salt pork generally fall into three classes:  lean, which is
mostly meat, streaky, which is divided between meat and fat, and fatty,
which is mostly fat.  They are determined by visual examination.

Bacon and salt pork are usually cuts from the back, belly and side (and the
jowl in the case of guanciale).  Back cuts are usually the leanest.  For
salt pork, the cuts are packed in salt.  For bacon, the cuts are salted or
brined, possibly spiced, then cured, by air drying, boiling or smoking.

There are three types of fat on a pig.  Visceral fat, from around the
kidneys and inside the loin, subcutaneous fat, from between the skin and
muscles of the pig usually from the back, and caul fat, from around the
inner organs.  If I understand your reference, you are going to be blogging
on the production of grasa de pella, which is lard rendered from visceral
fat.  As I understand the process, the fat is cut or diced into cubes (the
lumps) which are first browned and then simmered in water to separate the
pure fat from the extraneous tissue.

Actually, there is a difference between medieval pigs and modern pigs.
Medieval pigs were leaner.  Many modern pigs are hybridized with Oriental
breeds, producing more fat.  And there is a discernable taste difference
between pigs fed grain mash and pigs fed acorns.

Bear

I thank you too but I am still so confused because the English from England
have terms that I have had a hard time grasping like streaky bacon. To
simplify things when translating recipes I generally call for bacon but if
it is a Muslim recipe I call for lamb fat.

I don’t think I should I use the term pork belly??? When we slaughter the
pigs there is fat all over the place. - Yeah, so when streaked with fat I
call it bacon. . .

On Feb 24, 17 I will be publishing a blog title "pella," which translates as
lumps of fat. Its hard for me to explain it. I see when we open the pig but
how can I explainI it?

I don’t think there is a difference between pig fat in the Middle Ages and
pig fat now??? Doesn’t the pig have the same proportions of fat throughout
its body is feed on acorns from Huelvas cork oak orchards?