[Sca-cooks] Starch in cooking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 13 08:38:08 PST 2016

The endosperm of any grain consists primarily of starch which can be
extracted with water.  The earliest reference to the practice in Europe is
in Pliny's Natural Histories.  Recipes that call for amydon are calling for
wheat starch.  In regards the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook, the starch will
likely be either wheat starch or rice starch.

In practice, your spray starch might actually work, but let me recommend
that you use something a little more ordinary.  Since the primary
differences in extracted starches are in the trace chemicals, to test the
recipe you could use wheat starch, rice starch, corn (maize) starch, potato
starch, tapioca (cassava) flour, or arrowroot powder.

Bear