[Sca-cooks] Starch in cooking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 13 12:49:51 PST 2016

I wouldn't use spray starch or powdered laundry starch due to the additives.
Almost all green plants produce starch and commercial starch is extracted
from grains, potatoes and various rhizomes.  To my knowledge, all starches
consist primarily of amylose and amylopectin in a mix of 20-25%/80-75%
respectively and a varying group of trace chemicals.  Amylopectin is the
primary active ingredient and the general similarity of all starches means
they are generally interchangeable in recipes.

Tapioca flour is almost pure starch extracted from cassava root.  It also
shows up as Brazilian arrowroot.  While the recipe you are working with
almost certainly used either wheat or rice starch, an equal amount of
tapioca flour should produce the same result.

Corn flour is often used in England to denote grain starch (often amydon),
while corn starch is American English for starch from maize.

Bear

I am still not getting it. When I go to the supermarket, what can I buy as
an equivalent of starch or can I just spray on the starch from my laundry
room? - Don’t like the latter as forefathers didn’t have spray cans in the
Middle Ages. . . The supermarket catalogue does not list starch/amidon. I
see that maizena is cornstarch but I assume that is from corn on the cob
which did not exist in 13th century Spain? I see I have Tapioca flour but
that is not starch - no?