[Sca-cooks] Norse cooking

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 13:58:41 PST 2016

My updated bibliography on
"Medieval and Renaissance Cookery, Cookbooks, and Foods from Scandinavia" was submitted on 5 October so it should be appearing soon in The Citadel, the newsletter for the Barony of Cynnabar. https://cynnabar.org/citadel or contact the Editor at https://cynnabar.org/offices/10/contact  or when he plans to publish.

I note in the introduction that there are challenges because "there’s one surviving early manuscript and the first printed cookbook appears in 1616." That one manuscript contains just "35 abbreviated recipes. The collection survives in four slightly different versions, including 13th century copies in Low German, Old Icelandic, plus two in Old Danish."

The main book you want to see is "Libellus de Arte Coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book. Edited by Rudolf Grewe & Constance B. Hieatt. Tempe, Arizona: MRTS, 2001. [Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, vol. 222]"

hope this helps

Johnnae llyn Lewis