[Sca-cooks] Norse cooking

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 18:00:56 PST 2016

Christoph wrote:
> Looking for a period Norse cooking manuscript, or what evidence we have on
> pre-Christian cooked foods. Any leads?
>
> I was tasked by TRM Trimaris to handle to royal luncheon at Gulf Wars this
> year. They know I do period cooking only for events, and are currently
> having a Norse reign. So I get to have some fun :-)

I highly recommend
An Early Meal a Viking Age Cookbook and Culinary Odyssey
by Daniel Serra and Hanna Tunberg

It is not perfect, but it is based on archaeological and textual evidence and the authors are clear about what resources they used for their recipes. And it *is* for Viking age foods, unlike several rather late cookbooks that have been mentioned that are far from that era and not particularly Norse.

Urtatim