[Sca-cooks] Norse cooking

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 18:16:45 PST 2016

If you read French, this is a very useful guide to archeological finds of
Viking food:

http://www.ulfelagar.org/alimentation-vikings/

For those not up on modern food trends, there have actually been movements
towards the Norse diet, the Icelandic diet, etc. Here's an article:

https://www.academia.edu/29775139/The_rise_and_fall_of_the_New_Nordic_Cuisin

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 11/14/2016 6:01:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

Christoph wrote:
> Looking for a period Norse cooking  manuscript, or what evidence we have
on
> pre-Christian cooked foods.  Any leads?
>
> I was tasked by TRM Trimaris to handle to royal  luncheon at Gulf Wars
this
> year. They know I do period cooking only  for events, and are currently
> having a Norse reign. So I get to have  some fun :-)

I highly recommend
An Early Meal a Viking Age Cookbook  and Culinary Odyssey
by Daniel Serra and Hanna Tunberg

It is not  perfect, but it is based on archaeological and textual evidence
and the  authors are clear about what resources they used for their recipes.
And it  *is* for Viking age foods, unlike several rather late cookbooks
that have been  mentioned that are far from that era and not particularly
Norse.

Urtatim
Sca-cooks  mailing  list
Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org