[Sca-cooks] Subject: Lard and making piecrusts

Laura Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Nov 27 13:00:55 PST 2016

On 11/27/2016 12:36 PM, Susan Lord wrote:
> When you decide on a plum pudding recipe please share it!
> What is a "pudding cloth"?

Basically a linen or cotton muslin cloth, with a weave that would hold
pudding dough. Jas Townsend and Sons have one for sale at
http://jas-townsend.com/natural-linen-kitchen-cloth-3470-p-1438.html

But for $17.50 (plus shipping), I think you could buy a piece of linen
and make several pudding cloths. Basically just a square, hemmed so
loose threads don't get into the dough.

I've been watching a lot of the cooking videos on their YouTube channel-
some really interesting stuff, and a lot of it not unlike what we do. I
keep watching the mud oven videos and trying to figure out how I could
make and use one without wood smoke (I have some serious lung problems),
but I can't. Hoping someone else does though!

(One of my 6 year old granddaughters is addicted to those videos. Now
she wants to make in a wood-fired oven, and she wants me to get some
rennet so we can make cheese!)

Liutgard