[Sca-cooks] Sit and be served, was -- honey butter

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Oct 4 19:18:26 PDT 2016

If one runs a search on the phrase "sit and be served" along with medieval or feast, one encounters the phrase principally and foremost  in a review of a medieval times dinner theater. I cannot find that the phrase occurs with regard to historical dining or table service.

In as much dining in the medieval period was one of class and status, it was never about just sitting and being served. One was seated by status. Women might or might not have been seated at feasts. Children certainly weren't present. Often women were seated in other chambers. The dishes one was served depended in large part upon the rank one held. There are numerous books which detail dining and table customs.
In a democratic society where everyone is paying for one's meal, then yes, it's sit and eventually be served.

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad