[Sca-cooks] OOP Various measurements and others things

Arianwen caer_mab at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 02:04:14 PDT 2016

I have known about measuring differences for a long time. Our cup is 8 fl oz as was Australia's when I was there although their pint was 20 fl. Oz. like UK, UK cup was 10 fl oz half a pint like ours is half our 16 fl oz pint.

But not so much aware of the use of fl oz for liquids and weight measures for dry ingredients.

Problem came up as I gifted a friend with 1 for 1 gluten free flour.  Easy enough with my recipes,  but substituting 100 g for 100 g not so good (any suggestions?)

So another thing surfaced, as I am old school, sift the flour, spoon lightly into measuring cup level with flat surface, do not pack etc.  I am seeing recipes out there calling for a packed cup of flour ( and in these cases I wish they would give me a weight so I can be more accurate.). I also have cups for dry ingredients vs liquids...

Wonder if anyone is taking the time and trouble to both measure and weigh so replication elsewhere might be easier?

"outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx