[Sca-cooks] Great Medieval Bake Off

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 10:24:54 PDT 2016

A friend sent me this. It's interesting and includes an 11th century image
of bread, which is quite rare. I did however leave two quibbles in the
comments:  that medieval bakers certainly did NOT use cookbooks and they were
ridden around  town for under weight bread or other frauds, not incompetence
(which would have  kept them out of the guilds in the first place).

I'm also not sure they  had banal ovens in England or if they were (as in
France) obligatory. But the  mention of those is really too cursory to
respond to.

jC

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 9/2/2016 9:42:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,