[Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a new Florilegium format

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:36:07 PDT 2016

I’m looking a a new procedure for putting files into the Florilegium, at least for articles which are submitted to me in PDF format.

Since many people here seem to use the Florilegium, I’m asking you folks first.

Previously, I’ve been converting these to Word and then, as for the rest of the Florilegium files, letting Word generate (horrible) HTML code and then running the HTML through my own program to clean things up. It also automatically generates the file links to the other suggested Florilegium files that you see at the top.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of files that I’ve been unable to translate cleanly to Word and then into HTML that looks like the author originally submitted. Sometimes there are things that you can’t do in PDFs, Word and HTML.

And even when I can do a reasonable job, it can be quite time consuming.

I am trying to come up with a good way to directly display PDF files in the Florilegium. I have used one procedure on this new file:
Int-Drop-Spin-art PDF 9/ 4/16 "Introduction to Spinning: Drop Spindle” by Mistress Alienor Fitzhenry, OL.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/Int-Drop-Spin-art.html

I would like to find out what people do and don’t like about this new format.

Sorry, not a food related file. :-) It was just the first I decided to try this with.

It allows you to still download the PDF version of the article, which is something I wanted for newsletter editors that might wish to republish something from the Florilegium. I am also thinking about removing the text only versions of the files. Things have progressed quite a lot since 1994 and people are using browsers and higher speed links that can display graphics. Not generating this saves me some time, but it also means you don’t have the file sizes in the file list. These never were on the webpage and were only on the master filelist, anyway. At 3K per text page they gave a rough idea of how many text only pages were in a file. But with higher net speeds today, I’m not sure anyone cares anymore.

It is possible to embed PDF files directly into Word, but it changes them to its own, different format and I thought that might not work as well for editors.

Alternatively, I can simply turn the entire file into a PDF but the links to other Florilegium files at the top would just be filenames and not links.

I do most of my work on Macs and even then don’t run a variety of different browsers, so I would like to see how this (and possibly other techniques) work with different systems.

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com