[Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a new Florilegium format

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:05:34 PDT 2016

<<< Stefan I think the Florilegium is a great collective tool an extraordinary
resource and you should get help from all of us using it!
How much money it should be needed to pay for someone doing the most time
consuming job and letting you make the curatorial job, it means the
selection and the updating?
Ana >>>

At one time I considered converting it from the web format to a wiki format. But handling the spam and the control of erroneous info input was a problem I couldn’t see how to overcome.

As to paying someone else to handle stuff, I don’t see any chance. At one time, right after I introduced Google ads, I was getting enough income to consider it as a part-time job which would justify more time being spent on the project. However, that income quickly dwindled and now almost no ad income comes in. Not enough to pay the hosting charges if I moved the Florilegium to a commercial outfit. Right now, my friend in Dallas, Jeff Rush, is hosting it on his server for free. But as the extended outage the last few weeks shows, he sometimes is too busy to handle major problems when they come up.

I would love more assistance with the Florilegium. Unfortunately, the less automated it gets, the less likely it is that others can handle the basic web work. Using PDF formats eases my editing job greatly, and probably increases accuracy, but right now, especially if I end up inserting the links into the PDF file manually, instead of being able to do it automatically, increases my workload.

I can write programs in Python that can read and modify HTML formatted files, but PDF is a black box and I can’t modify them in Python, although there are some utility programs that can modify PDF files with varying capability and cost. Some can’t do the links. Another that says it can, is $100 and I haven’t determined that it can. So I’m trying combinations of various other programs.

I don’t really like the PDF window inside of my HTML page, although originally I thought I would. And others are reporting problems with that.

How much does anyone really use the linked files at the top of the Florilegium files to consider looking at other Florilegium files? Would the names alone (no live links) be just as good?

Thanks again,
Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com