[Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a new Florilegium format

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:19:04 PDT 2016

Bear replied to me with:
<<< The one problem I see with this format is the reader window isn't large
enough.  If you set the document at 100% for easy reading, you only see
about 1/4 of the page forcing you to scroll laterally back and forth to read
the lines.  The document fits inside the window at 50% but is difficult to
read. >>>

Oops. That is why I wanted to see how it working on other systems. I increased the HTML window size from 300 by 300 pixels to 600 by 600 so that it would fit on my usual screen size. I didn’t want to go much bigger because of the scrolling problem you mention. And yes, zooming in seems to make this worse.

<<< To effectively use the format, I have to save a copy and open it in a
standard Acrobat reader.  It would be nice if I could shift directly into
the reader or go full screen from the HTML.  Unfortunately, I don't know the
limitations and features of the software you are using. >>>

Definitely not what I wanted for normal use. If the article is in PDF format, I am trying to preserve the ability for SCA editors to download the source and use it in their newsletters. I can insert a Pdf file directly into a Word document using Word, but it changes the PDF to one of it’s own unique graphics formats and I thought that that wouldn’t be useable by editors.

<<< I use Open Office on Windows rather than MS Office, so if you need anything
checked on that, let me know. >>>

I’ve looked at various Word clones, at least those available on the Mac, but I dropped that idea in the past, although right now I can’t remember the exact reasons.

1) I’m going to try the import the PDF into Word and do everything from there as I always have, and see how that works.

2) I’m going to look into translating the header portion and the copyright notice into PDF files and then paste them together into one bigger PDF file including the PDF formatted submitted article. Then I have to either insert the links by hand (time consuming) or have only file names at the top that aren’t actual links.

I’ll do each of these test on new articles, so that you at least get something new to read. :-)

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com