[Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a new Florilegium format

Glenn Adrian gadrian at clear.net.nz
Fri Sep 9 05:57:27 PDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Sca-cooks [mailto:sca-cooks-bounces+gadrian=clear.net.nz at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Alec Story
Sent: Friday, 9 September 2016 2:54 p.m.
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a new Florilegium format

One thing to be aware of if you move to PDFs is that PDFs display terribly on small screens, while good HTML reflows to fit the screen size very nicely.  If you move to PDFs, you may find that people on mobile devices avoid your site.

The number of people using primarily mobile devices is not actually that small today, and is only going to grow.  I might also point out that the current layout is pretty mobile-hostile, since the fonts get itty-bitty on mobile.  I'm not sure how much of that is fixable given how badly word generates html (1)

>>>Of course PDF's can be designed in a responsive layout now.  But since the common reason for PDFs is to fix the layout for print, and not many people know how to make responsive PDF's or have Acrobat handy, then this is probably a mute point.

Glenn