[Sca-cooks] So... here's a challenge I'm taking on

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Mon Sep 12 08:21:03 PDT 2016

Bear wrote:
So, chicken, beef, bread, potatoes, carrots, buttered steamed lettuce?   I'd

love to see the menu you develop.

So far I've not tightened up my menu (I'm still waiting to learn about two
more possible diners, one of whom has medical issues) but it's looking like
this:

Available all day: Oranges, bananas, Lady Smith or Roma (I think) apples,
grapes, and pre=packaged snacks that will fit into a pouch since most folks
will be on the archery range, breads and fruit spreads, walnuts, cashews,
hazelnuts, and hard boiled eggs. Also anything I cook up while I am still
learning how to use our camp oven although items don't 'count'.

Breakfasts: instant (I know!) oatmeal, oatcakes with fruit, and for the
diabetic diners (I have 2), boil-a-bag omelettes, coffees & teas. I haven't
learned how to use the oven as a toaster but I might give that a try. I'm
not very awake at breakfast time so only one morning will feature bacon &
eggs.

Lunches: a selection of cheeses and roasted meats sliced before I package
them at home, with various sauces, breads, and side items such as olives &
pickles. I'd like to have something nicely not-average but again - I'm at a
loss. IF I get everything else done soon enough I may make some meat or
cheese pies. And maybe a bread tart - it's been a long while since I did one
of those as I'm diabetic and in a two-person home that makes it silly to
try.

Dinner:
1st night: beef in white pepper gravy over half-rounds of soft bread (this
is by request) on the night my carrageenan-sensitive person won't be there.
I'm doubting that I'll need to supply any side dish with that.

2nd night: Various sausages for all but the sensitive, who will be having
boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I'm at a loss for the side dish so far. I
was thinking of a carrot & parsnip dish, but would really like something
green. Maybe the c&p in the oven and sautéed greens on the burner while the
guys grill their own sausages at the fire.

3rd night: Rolled Thin Pancakes, ham* lumpia, and if I still have them in my
freezer, things that look like egg rolls but contain spiced apple or apple &
caramel filling. Just to get rid of the danged things.

Thank goodness there is no "4th night" as that will be packout day. But that
is 'real breakfast' morning.

Hrothny
*I should check for carrageenan in that, it just occurred to me.