[Sca-cooks] So... here's a challenge I'm taking on

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Sep 12 07:59:53 PDT 2016

Fascinating, I generally address food restrictions in my feasts by
individualizing portions and producing modified portions.  This collection
of allergies would be a nightmare, too small a group, too long a menu
period.

The Brunswick stew I can understand.  It's usually chicken or pork with
tomatoes, corn and okra.  Kind of iffy, because lima or butter beans are
often used in it.

The carrageenan is probably a sensitivity to the sulphides.  It's a protein
binder so it shows up in a number of things other than dairy.  Be sure to
check the label on processed food.  Some of the organic brands leave it out,
and would be useable.

If Camper #2 can eat peas, then they can probably handle garbanzos and
lentils.  If they can't, then they are likely allergic to all legumes and
most, if not all, of the pulses.  It's one of those allergy oddities that
cause me to ask follow-up questions.

Camper #3, heaven help you, although the list has similarities to one of the
people I cook for upon occasion.  Just almond flower, and not almonds or
almond oil?  Just looking at the list, they appear to be allergic to
capsaicin and sulfites.  Fresh apple tart would be in, but one from the
store might not be.  It depends on the degree of sensitivity.  While not
listed, they may have a problem with oats and oat flour.

So, chicken, beef, bread, potatoes, carrots, buttered steamed lettuce?   I'd
love to see the menu you develop.

Bear

I'm going to a five-day event in NC next month and running a meal plan. So
far (we're not done yet) I've learned that I have to avoid these items for
the various members who have replied to my "sensitivities or allergies?"
question:

Camper #1: anything containing carrageenan

Camper #2: Cabbage or Beans

Camper #3 (yes, there is two columns here):
Asparagus                         Bell/sweet peppers
Celery                                Kale
Lima beans                       Mayonnaise
Mustard                            Raw onion (cooked okay)
Mushrooms                     Almond flour
Ginger                               Hazelnut
Peanuts                            Most soups and stews (Brunswick okay)
Grapefruit                        Oranges/tangerines/clementines/mandarins
etc
Ground beef is iffy          Chili
Sausage                            Seafood
Most spicy things
Most dairy - milk, soft cheeses, ice cream, yogurt, sour cream, whipped
cream (hard cheeses okay)

Camper #4: Sausage, Dairy

... and one guy who will not eat any form of veggie, but that's kinda normal
in my food-prep world. I can easily deal with the list so far (although I am
still at a loss as to how "Brunswick stew" is safe but most soups and stews
are not) but the newly-added carrageenan ban is causing me to do some
serious online research. Luckily it seems to be limited to dairy (and dairy
substitute) items and pre-cooked meats in various forms... yet she says she
can eat sausage.

Field cooking. It's a challenge.

Hrothny