[Sca-cooks] So... here's a challenge I'm taking on

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:10:26 PDT 2016

I love boil in bag =) Until the house fire we had a sous vide setup with
vacuum sealer and it was great =) I remember the original rush of vacuum
packing back in the 70s with the Daisey Seal-a-meal =)

You can do some good customizing for dietary needs without taking up a
zillion cooking pots! Just one large one with boiling water - sort of
like the original cook in wrapped bundles that ended up becoming stuff
like plum puddings - now *there* is an idea - boil in bag plum puddings
- I could seal individual servings of finished puddings and toss them in
the freezer so I can heat them up when I want some. Wonder if homemade
hard sauce would store well in one of those fill it yourself tubes ...
https://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2?CAWELAID=120217890000821565&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15877492480&CATCI=pla-126983807080&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_11805|6960070016|103f8e77-b54f-4df9-96a9-5c0270c6f728|pla-126983807080&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_11805|6960070016|103f8e77-b54f-4df9-96a9-5c0270c6f728|pla-126983807080&gclid=CJ3r8ZjCis8CFRFahgodMe0FdA
... =]

Actually, these would be great for homemade condiments like the pear
mustard Phlip has a good recipe for. I hate packing for road
trips/camping/events in glass, and have been revisiting the boil in bag
thing as we are in the market for a new vacuum sealer to replace the one
that melted in the fire and was wondering if we should get a larger
'commercial' version. Rob and I want to get back into going to Pennsic
but physically we are getting older and needing to get into more gentle
camping methods. When I was doing the Harbingers Bash, I went with a
good basic vegan minestrone and cheater 'antipasto salad' with stuff on
the side that could be added in to modify for people who wanted animal
protein and different stuff and while I do want to do more period
recipes [we had some seriously fun dinners like the all Roman one with
the beets and greens and pear patina, or the time we used alternate
methods pounding walnuts into white sals =) ] physical difficulties make
the idea of precooking a bunch of stuff during the months preceeding the
camping season a good practice.

And on an odd note, Rob and I just bought a 14' box truck so we are
giving up the Pennsic storage locker - now we can keep it all at home,
and haul large loads to events =) One thing coming home from the locker
is our propane freezer and apartment sized 4 burner propane/LP range=)
Talk about great for local events needing a fast addition of a cooking
appliance!