[Sca-cooks] An SCA feast

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Mon Sep 19 11:41:02 PDT 2016

Some of us are documentation fans, some are not.
The breaking point is where we fans say "There are no period recipes" and the non-fans *Hear* "That isn't period".
We know they ate bread, stew, and numerous other things that we do not have documentable recipes for.
For me, the problem is when someone refers to the undocumented bits as "period".
(Or- If they had a Bic lighter, they would have used one.)

As Bear says, it is about verisimilitude.
Most of us fans make the choice to use period ingredients and do the best we can to fill in where there is no documentation.
We don't decide we can't serve bread at the feast because we don't have a recipe.
We also don't decide that just because we don't have documentation we can just whip up a Bisquick Dill Surprise.

In Madrone (An Tir) we have a Peasants festival every year. We serve a hearty Soup/Stew.
Sure - we have little specific documentation for Peasant stew.
But (to me) it would be just as wrong to serve "Noble Person" food to our Peasants as it would be to use russet potatoes.
Having a recipe for the wrong thing isn't necessarily better than having no recipe.

As a documentation fan I don't understand why others don't care to produce as close a period feast as they can.
I am sure a religious documentation fan probably doesn't understand why I don't care how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
We all play the game in our own way. Tolerance is hard, especially when someone is massacring something we work hard on, or care passionately about.

(Let's not even start with the "We don't want period food, we want edible food" heathens.)

Randell Raye