[Sca-cooks] An SCA feast

Christine Seelye-King Chefchristy at kingstaste.com
Thu Sep 22 08:25:21 PDT 2016

In looking for something completely different in my Deleted File, I just saw
this note.  I feel a few points are in need of clarification about the
original feast, which occurred at the Crossroads of the Roses event held on
Sept 17th:
Diana Wertz (Lady Sharra) was a guest at the feast, not the lady who cooked
it.  That lady was Lady Adaire from the Shire of Owl's Nest, and it was her
first feast.  Her peer is Mistress Temair Carr, who was at one time on this
list.  She was in the kitchen with her giving assistance.  I was called in
to handle a couple of trickier items (shaving fennel and prepping ducks for
the oven), and I noted that she was making a cardinal error, that of cooking
things for a feast for the first time without having cooked them previously.
When I made a gentle comment along those lines, Mistress Temair said: "I am
trying to let her figure this out without me saying too much, and letting
her make her own mistakes."  I said that was fair, I did what I was asked to
do, and I removed myself from the kitchen.  I could have stayed and 'made it
all better', but that was not what was called for, and so I left with a
rousing "Don't freak out! It will all work out just fine!" speech, and left
them to it.  (I didn't stay for dinner, although it looked wonderful, I
wanted to get home before dark, and before finding gas proved to be too
difficult.)  From all reports, the meal was very well-received. I have not
had a chance to talk to either Temair or Adaire to see what their
impressions were.
So I know nothing about her documentation, although she had her Laurel by
her side, so I'm sure it was considered and discussed as part of the
planning process.
Christianna