[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Sep 20 13:04:28 PDT 2016

Jim Chevallier said:
<<< in fact, in the West, there are  virtually no true medieval
bread recipes. >>>

Not quite true, but yes they are very limited.

I think the number is around dozen and a half, depending upon how broadly
you define “bread”. I think I have about a dozen in the Florilegium.
Someday, I may group them together in a file only on period bread recipes,
cutting out a lot of the commentary, which will remain in the other bread
files.

Stefan

Rather than how one defines bread, it is how one defines medieval and West.
Actual European bread recipes begin showing up on the cusp between Late
Medieval and Early Renaissance.  There are a number of Islamic bread recipes
that are Medieval, but not culturally European, and we have European recipes
from Greece and Rome that are not Medieval.

Bear