[Sca-cooks] An SCA feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Sep 20 16:23:58 PDT 2016

That kinda nails it.

I try to find out something about people I'm discussing before I write, but
between fat fingers and tiredness, I didn't find anything.  I then erred.

Poor Baron Bragg has fallen foul of sticklers.  Culinary historian doesn't
come with any job qualifications (unless you're doing it academically, where
you need the union card of a degree), but when one's statement that one is a
culinary historian appears before an audience of amateur culinary
historians, we're all kind of interested in what we can learn.

Bear

LOL - I saw the first part of that post and Stephen's comment about the
honey butter, but somehow missed the rest of it.  So let me see if I have
this straight: On the Facebook SCA Cook's page, Stephen was being Stephen,
Bragg got all full of himself, and then you called him a girl, is that about
it?

I will be happy to pass along a reminder about the tone of commentary on
text-based media, as it is extra hard to read someone's intent without other
external clues like body language and intonation.

I will also be happy to tell him to put up or shut up about being an
historian, or to perhaps call himself a 'student of culinary history' until
he publishes something.  His art is well-published, he's probably got more
covers of Popular Chivlary done with his artwork than any other single
artist.  However, he does not have any papers written to my knowledge on the
topic of food history, although he might have done one in school, I'll have
to see if he is willing to put the work into polishing that up for SCA
publication.

Whether or not he took umbrage at a gender mis-identification, I have no
idea, but I'll be sure to pass along your regrets.

Lordy.
lol
Christianna