[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 18:52:28 PDT 2016

The distinction that applies for our period is between bread from the
Western, Christian portion of Europe as opposed to bread from an Arab or
Mideastern tradition. Recipes exist for the latter, not for the former, before
the end of the Middle Ages.

The breads were very different and, I believe, used in somewhat different
ways. But Western bread was not made in pans (which, strangely, someone just
 asked me about last night) until the late nineteenth century. It WAS, more
often  than not, leavened. I don't know about the tradition of bakers in
Arab culture,  but bread in the Christian world tended to be made by
professionals, except in  the early Middle Ages (when we really don't know if it
sometimes still was after  the fall of the Roman Empire).

The basic issue is that these are very  different sorts of bread from very
different cultures; we have recipes from the  period for one, not for the
other. And again, I'm referring to the simplest,  most common form of bread,
not pastries or other variants.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 9/20/2016 5:31:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,