[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 20:19:53 PDT 2016

No argument there. But it simply isn't a recipe - that is, it was never
intended to provide instructions on how to produce the bread in question, only
 to record doing so after the fact.

The distinction is somewhat more than semantic, since it shows that people
looking for details on how to make things in our period don't necessarily
need  to limit themselves to texts which are actually called recipes (which
is what a  lot of students of medieval food tend to do, including some
academics). I've  even seen literary or historical passages which provide useful
details on how to  make things. Then you've got medical texts like Vilanova's
which provide  "recipes" but in the older sense of a formulation; yet some
of these can be used  for cooking as well.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 9/21/2016 8:03:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,